It’s make up made of ground up rocks 🙂 and the fine powder reflects light and hides your skin’s imperfections.
Check out this video of me at Generation Beauty 2013 with the team from Bare Minerals – color matching and applying mineral make up.
1) IT LETS YOUR SKIN BREATHE: Unlike many heavy oil-based foundations, true natural mineral make up is non-comedogenic i.e. it doesn’t clog your pores. our skin can breathe… Aaaaah 🙂
2) PURE: Some dermatologists recommend mineral make up to women with certain skin issues like eczema and sensitive skin because it’s so pure (the top mineral makeup brands e.g. Bare Minerals, don’t use fragrances, parabens, preservatives, dyes, oil and other additives that can irritate your skin.
3) ACTIVELY REDUCING INFLAMMATION: Mineral makeup contains a greater proportion of zinc oxide than regular makeup. Zinc oxide helps to soothe inflammation (so much so it’s actually used in diaper cream!) so it can be helpful for people with e.g. acne.
4) PH: Mineral makeup has a pH that is… neutral!
5) IT HAS A NATURAL SPF: The titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in mineral make up act as a natural broad spectrum sunscreen.
Make sure you moisturize well before applying mineral make up (and let your moisturizer sink in properly). And use the right kind of brush – mineral make up is so fine, you need a special brush to work it into all the grooves on your face! Use a little at a time, to add thin layers (if you want more coverage).
If you do decide to try mineral make up, do try a 100% mineral makeup (lots of companies have jumped on the mineral makeup band wagon but some of them have the same long ingredients lists and added chemicals as regular foundation…).
You go girl! Let’s be our most fabulous selves 🙂