“I feel like carbohydrate-y comfort food… What should I eat?” SCROLL DOWN FOR RECIPE! Carbs are NOT your enemy. —Twinkies, Snickers bars and White / Irish potato ARE though! These are SIMPLE carbohydrates that spike your blood sugar levels. If you eat white potatoes & white flour it’s like eating white sugar…
BUT there are carbs, COMPLEX carbohydrates, that don’t behave like this and are a better choice! Complex carbs are more NUTRITIOUS than simple carbs AND complex carbs don’t RAISE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS as quickly as simple carbs AND complex carbs take you LONGER TO DIGEST.
*** COMPLEX CARBS like SWEET POTATO ARE YOUR SECRET WEAPON! ***
Sweet potato is loaded with fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, beta carotene and complex carbs! AND the taste is heavenly 🙂 Nutritious AND delicious! 🙂
SWEET POTATO recipe:
– 2 peeled sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/4 inch (1/3 inch absolute max no thicker!) slices
– 1/2 tablespoon of oil (vegetable oil e.g. canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil or another oil with a high smoke point. NOT olive oil – it breaks down and starts to smoke at a much lower temperature)
– Optional: pinch of black pepper and pinch of sea salt (you don’t need to add the salt! The less added sodium the better!)
– 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley (fresh)
– 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Peel 2 sweet potatoes and chop them into 1/4 inch deep slices.
3. Put the 1/2 tablespoon of oil ((vegetable oil e.g. canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil or another oil with a high smoke point) into a large bowl with the sweet potato slices. Use your hands to massage the oil in – make sure the slices are coated
Optional: pinch of black pepper and pinch of sea salt
4. When the oven is at 400°, put the sliced sweet potatoes on a flat, metal baking sheet.
Cook for 25 – 35 minutes (test it with a fork to see that it’s no longer hard as a rock!).
Turn the potatoes over and cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Test with a fork to see if it’s cooked!
5. Mix the parsley and the garlic together and then put it over the cooked, gorgeous, tasty sweet potato slices! YUM!
WHAT OTHER FOODS CONTAIN COMPLEX CARBS?
Here are a few…
– Seeds, Nuts & legumes (Beans & lentils)
– Yam (African)
– Old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oatmeal (NOT the quickie 5-minutes-to-cook kind!!!)
– Whole grains e.g. quinoa, brown rice
– Veggies e.g. broccoli, spinach, asparagus
I’m here rooting for you!
The Lifestylista ®
CLICK HERE to SIGN UP http://bit.ly/LifestylistaBlogEmailClub for my Lifestylista email club to get LOADS OF GOODIES delivered directly to your inbox: *Premium Giveaways, *Free downloads, *Great strategies & secrets on how to LOSE WEIGHT, GET FIT and BE YOUR MOST FABULOUS!